- Rhetoric about a new Civil War is on the Rise. Both sides are increasing their rhetoric, and there are no voices in the room arguing for toning it down.
- Why Conservatives Should Back Police Reform. Stop getting bogged down in the minor nuances of individual cases (being a sperg), and look at the greater picture here: government power is a problem. The goal should be limiting it, and improving the ability for redress of grievances.
- Why Qualified Immunity is awful, and a Judge’s epic rant against it.
- Forward Observer discusses Low Intensity Conflict.
So what we have taking shape here is a bit of a Thucydides Trap. Harvard professor Graham Allison has used the term to describe what happens when a status quo power is challenged by a revisionist power, which in a majority of cases as resulted in war. The term comes from historian Thucydides, in his writings about the rise of Athens, which threatened Sparta, and ultimately led to war between the two states. More recently, the Thucydides Trap is used to describe what’s happening now between the United States and China.
But I would also call attention to what happens when a revisionist power inside a country wants to take control, which is what’s happening in this country right now. I don’t have the data, and I can’t tell you statistically what percentage of the time that competition between internal factions leads to a domestic conflict. But what I can tell you is that I’ve been tracking hundreds of conflict indicators since the presidential campaign of 2016, and it’s led me to believe that we are undoubtedly already in a low intensity conflict.
- Is the U.S. a failed state in 2020? Hard to argue no on this one. Numerous disasters, societal conflict, and a complete absence of leadership at all levels all point to YES.
- Contrary to March expectations, the lock downs are going to produce fewer births than expected.
- A very long article on the original political divide in this country. Its important to read up on, as we are seeing the same fundamental divisions resurface.
- As covered in a previous article, a founder of The Federalist Society is now calling for Trump to be impeached (again). It shows how Trump has the amazing ability to isolate himself.
- Should federal law enforcement officers dress as special forces larpers? I say no, and many in the military have also expressed concern about how similar both groups look, and how the American people perceive federal uniforms. Americans shouldn’t be conditioned to accept “military presence” in our streets. What is sad is that the limited-government right is not willing to make a stand on this issue. Instead, they want to ensure that when the left takes over, they have a very powerful police arm to enforce their policies. (Conservatives always set themselves up to fail).
- The Department of Homeland
SpyingSecurity is under scrutiny … for spying. Nixon would be proud.